[ back to index listing ]
SECTION 5: PLAN AND PLAT INFORMATION REQUIREMENTS
- Pre-Application Plan
- Preliminary Plat
- Preliminary Plat Supplements
- Final Plat
- Submittal. All applications and
supplemental material shall be bound in sets ready for distribution.
All copies of plats, other maps and/or supplemental material, shall
be folded to approximately eight and a half to nine by eleven inch (8
½” to 9” x 11”) or eight and a half to nine
by fourteen (8 ½” to 9” x 14”) in sets ready
- Pre-Application Plan. The pre-application
plan may be a free-hand sketch, legibly drawn, showing approximate boundaries,
dimensions, areas and distances. The plan may be drawn directly on a
print of a topographic survey required for the preliminary plat and
- Sketch Map: A sketch map showing:
- The name of adjoining subdivisions and numbers of adjoining
certificates of survey.
- Location, name, width and owner of existing roads and easements
within the proposed subdivision; within adjacent subdivisions
and tracts; and which road provides access from the nearest
public road to the proposed subdivision.
- Location of any existing structures, including buildings,
railroads, power lines, towers, and improvements inside and
within one hundred feet (100’) of the proposed subdivision.
- Zoning classification within the proposed subdivision and
adjacent to it. Proposed zoning for the subdivision if a change
- Topographic Features: Topographic features of the proposed subdivision
and adjacent tracts land, including:
- A current USGS Topographic map at the largest scale available
with the subdivision clearly outlined.
- Embankments, water courses, drainage channels, areas of seasonal
water ponding, areas within the designated floodway, marsh areas,
rock outcrops, wooded areas and areas of active faults.
- Utilities: The existing and proposed utilities located on and
adjacent to the proposed subdivision including:
- Location, size, and depth of sanitary and storm sewers, water
mains and gas lines.
- Location of fire hydrants, electric lines, telephone lines,
sewage and water treatment, and storage facilities.
- Subdivision Layout: The proposed layout of the subdivision showing
- Subdivision blocks, tracts, and lots, with numbers, dimensions,
and areas for each.
- Road location, right-of-way width, and name.
- Easement location, width and purpose.
- Sites to be dedicated or reserved as park, common open space
or other public areas; with boundaries, dimensions and areas.
- Sites for commercial centers, churches, schools, industrial
areas, condominiums, mobile home parks, and uses other than
single family residences.
- Development Plan: An overall development plan indicating future
development of the remainder of the tract if the tract is to be
developed in phases.
- Name and Location: A title block indicating the proposed name,
quarter-section, township, range, principal meridian, and county
- Notations: Scale, north arrow, name and addresses of owners and
subdividers and date of preparation.
- Variances: A list of variance requests which will be submitted
with the application for preliminary plat approval.
- Preliminary Plat. The preliminary
plat shall be legibly drawn at the horizontal scale of not less than
two hundred feet (200’) to the inch; and may show approximate
boundaries, dimensions, distances and areas, unless specifically noted.
The plat shall be on one or more sheets of twenty inches by thirty-six
inches (24” x 36”). Where accurate information is required,
surveying and engineering data shall be prepared under the supervision
of a registered engineer or registered land surveyor as their respective
licensing laws allow. The plat submittal shall include the following:
- Pre-application Information: All information required with the
- Subdivision Information: Name and location of the subdivision,
scale, scale bar, north arrow, date of preparation, lots and blocks
(designated by number or letter), and the dimensions and area of
- Roads and Grades: All roads, alleys, avenues, highways, and easements
and the width of the rights-of-way, grades and curvature of each;
existing and proposed road names, and proposed location of intersections
for any subdivision requiring access to arterial or collector highways.
- Adjoining Subdivisions: The names of adjoining platted subdivisions
and numbers of adjoining certificates of survey.
- Perimeter Survey: An approximate survey of the exterior boundaries
of the platted tract with bearings, distances, and curve data indicated
outside of the boundary lines. When the plat is bounded by an irregular
shoreline or a body of water, the bearings and distances of a closing
meander traverse shall be given.
- Section Corner: The approximate location of all section corners
or legal subdivision corners of sections pertinent to the subdivision
- Contours: Ground contours shall be provided for the tract according
to the following requirements:
Where average slope is: Contour intervals shall be:
Under 10% 2 feet (If lots are over one acre in size, 5 feet intervals
may be used.)
Between 10% and 15% 5 feet
Between 15% and 25% 10 feet
25% or greater a reasonable contour for the lot sizes
- Phased Improvements: If the improvements required are to be completed
in phases after the final plat is filed, the approximate area of
each phase shall be shown on the plat.
- Preliminary Plat Supplements. The
following supplemental information shall be submitted with the preliminary
- Environmental Assessment, Community Impact and Flood Hazard Evaluation:
To be submitted as required in these regulations.
- Area Map: A map showing all adjacent sections of land, subdivision,
certificates of survey, and roads.
- Subdivision Map: Map of entire subdivision on either an eight
and a half by eleven inch (8 1/2" x 11") or an eleven
by seventeen inch (11" x 17" sheet).
- Variances: A written statement describing the requested variance(s)
and the facts of hardship upon which the request is based.
- Property Owners: Certified list of adjoining property owners
and addresses, and property description. List of adjoining property
owners and addresses on self adhesive address labels; one list for
first minor subdivisions and three lists for all other subdivisions.
Including those across public rights-of-way and/or easements.
- Documents and Certificates: Draft or copy of the following documents
and certificates to be printed on or accompany the preliminary plat.
- Covenants, restrictions and Articles of Incorporation for
the homeowners’ association.
- Encroachment permits or a letter indicating intention to
issue a permit where new roads, easements, rights-of way or
driveways intersect state, county, or city highways or roads.
- A letter of approval from the Council or other appropriate
authority where a zoning change is necessary.
- A draft of such other appropriate certificates.
- Provision for maintenance of all roads (including emergency
access), parks, and other required improvements.
- Drafts of public improvements agreement and guarantee.
- Profile sheets for road grades greater than five percent (5%).
- Completed preliminary plat application form.
- The required fee according to the fee schedule in these regulations
- A Noxious Weed Management and Revegetation Plan approved by the
Weed Control District for control of noxious weeds upon preliminary
plat approval and during the construction of improvements. Prior
to final plat approval, a Memorandum of Understanding shall be entered
into by the Weed Control District and the Subdivider.
- Final Plat.
- A final subdivision plat may not be approved by the Council nor
filed by the Clerk and Recorder unless all conditions of preliminary
plat aproval and all subdivision regulations as required by the
Council have been met. This shall include the Treasurer’s
certificate that all real property taxes and special assessments
assessed and levied on the land to be subdivided have been paid.
- A final subdivision plat may not be approved by the Council nor
filed by the Clerk and Recorder unless it complies with the following
UNIFORM STANDARDS FOR FINAL SUBDIVISION PLATS requirements:
- Final subdivision plats shall be legibly drawn with permanent
ink or printed or reproduced by a process guaranteeing a permanent
record and shall be twenty-four inches by thirty-six inches
(24” x 36”) overall to include a one and one half
inch (1½”) margin on the binding side.
- One signed cloth-backed or opaque mylar copy and one signed
reproducible copy on a stable based polyester film or equivalent
shall be submitted.
- Whenever more than one sheet must be used to accurately portray
the land subdivided, each sheet must show the number of that
sheet and the total number of sheets included. All certifications
shall be shown or referenced on one sheet.
- Changes to a filed subdivision plat must be filed with the
Clerk and Recorder as an amended plat. An amended plat may not
be filed unless it meets the filing requirements for a final
subdivision plat specified in these rules, except that approval
by the Council is not required where waived by Section 76-3-207(1)
MCA, for relocation of common boundary lines or aggregation
of five or fewer lots.
- The final plat submitted for approval shall show or contain on
its face or on separate sheets referenced on the plat:
- A title block indicating the quarter-section(s), section,
township, range, principal meridian, and county of the subdivision.
The title of the plat shall contain the words "plat"
- Name(s) of the owner(s) of the land surveyed and the name(s)
of any adjoining platted subdivision and numbers of any adjoining
certificates of survey previously recorded and ties thereto.
- North point.
- Scale bar (scale shall be sufficient to legibly represent
the required data on the plat submitted for filing).
- All monuments found, set, reset, replaced, or removed describing
their kind, size, location and giving other data relating thereto.
- Witness monuments, basis of bearing, bearings and lengths
- The bearings, distances and curve data of all perimeter boundary
lines shall be indicated. When the subdivision is bounded by
an irregular shoreline or body of water, the bearings and distances
of a meander traverse shall be given.
- Data on all curves sufficient to enable the re-establishment
of the curves on the ground. The data shall include:
(1) Radius of curve.
(2) Arch length.
(3) Notation of non-tangent curves.
- Lengths of all lines shall be shown to at least tenths of
a foot, and all angles and bearings shown to at least the nearest
- The location of all section corners or legal subdivision
corners of sections pertinent to the subdivision boundary.
- All lots and blocks in the subdivision, designated by number
or letter, the dimensions of each lot and block, the area of
each lot, and the total acreage of all lots. (Excepted parcels
shall be marked "Not Included in this subdivision"
or “Not included in this plat," as appropriate, and
the boundary completely indicated by bearings and distances.)
- All streets, alleys, avenues, roads and highways; their widths,
bearings; the width and purpose of all rights-of-way; and the
names of all streets, roads and highways.
- The location, dimensions and areas of all parks, common areas,
and all other grounds dedicated for public use.
- Acreage of the subdivision, gross and net.
- A metes and bounds legal description of the perimeter boundary
of the tract surveyed.
- All monuments to be of record must be adequately described
and clearly identified on the plat. Where additional monuments
are to be set subsequent to the filing of the plat, the location
of such additional monuments shall be shown by a distinct symbol
noted on the plat. All monuments or other evidence found during
retracements that would influence the positions of any corner
or boundary indicated on the plat must be clearly shown.
- The signature and seal of the registered land surveyor responsible
for the survey. The affixing of his seal constitutes a certification
by the surveyor that the final plat has been prepared in conformance
with the Act (sections 76-3-101 through 76-3-625, MCA) and the
regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
- Memorandum of oaths administered pursuant to Section 76-3-405
- Certification by the Council that the final subdivision plat
is approved, except where the plat shows changes to a filed
subdivision plat which are exempt from local government review
under Section 76-3-207(1) MCA. Where an amended plat qualifies
for such a waiver the plat must contain a statement that pursuant
to Section 76-3-207(1) MCA, approval by the Council is not required
for relocation of common boundary lines or for aggregation of
- The following original documents shall be on the face of the
approved final plat when filed with the Clerk and Recorder. All
documents shall be properly notarized or sealed where applicable.
- Certification of dedication of roads, parks or playgrounds,
or other public improvements, or of cash donation in lieu of
dedication, when applicable.
- Certification by the subdivider indicating which required
public improvements have been installed and any subdivision
improvements agreement securing the future construction of any
additional public improvements to be installed.
- Certification by the Council expressly accepting any dedicated
land and improvements. Acceptance of dedication shall be ineffective
without such certification.
- Certification of examining land surveyor where applicable.
- Treasurer’s certificate that all real property taxes
and special assessments assessed and levied on the land to be
subdivided have been paid.
- The following original documents shall accompany and be recorded
with the approved final plat when filed with the Clerk and Recorder.
All documents shall be properly notarized or sealed where applicable.
- Certification by a licensed title abstractor showing the
names of the owners of record of land to be subdivided and the
names of any lien holders or claimants of record against the
land. Certificate shall be accompanied by City Attorney’s
- Covenants or deed restrictions required by the Council.
- Certification by the MDEQ that it has approved the plans
and specifications for sanitary facilities when required.
- Articles of incorporation and by-laws for any property owners'